What is Live Green?
Live Green! is Iowa State University's campus-wide sustainability initiative encouraging all faculty, staff, and students to be fully committed to and engaged in making our campus, its operations, and initiatives as "green" as possible.
Live Green! is an initiative personally declared by President Geoffroy and kicked off in 2008. In declaring this initiative for Iowa State University, the President provided two challenges to all faculty, staff, and students:
- To be a leader in sustainability among land grant institutions.
- To recognize that the involvement and dedication of every member of the Iowa State University community is critical to achieving this goal.
Four Foundation Pillars
To ensure that students, faculty, and staff have access to tools and resources necessary to achieve his leadership goal, the President began the Live Green! Initiative by putting in place four foundation pillars:
- Establishment of the President's Advisory Committee on Energy Conservation and Global Climate Change
- Establishment of a Live Green! Revolving Loan Fund
- Hiring of a Sustainability Director
- Completion of a Sustainability Symposium for all university staff, faculty, and students
Greening Our Campus
Although having an initial focus on energy efficiency and conservation opportunities, the Live Green! Initiative encourages and supports all efforts that support a sustainable future at Iowa State University. From large projects including green building, composting food waste, and green custodial practices to smaller scale opportunities like recycling our "Iowa State Daily" campus newspaper and reducing our over lit buildings, we are striving to minimize our impact on global climate change and ensure a tradition among future generations of Iowa Staters.
Learn more about our GREEN CAMPUS and what we're doing!
What You Can Do
We're excited to have you Live Green! with us! You can be a part of the action in a number of ways.
- Check out our Live Green! tips and find a new way to "Go Green!" in your Residence Hall, Greek house, off campus community or office building.
- Join a student group, campus organization, community activity, or college initiative that supports the Live Green! Initiative.
- Sign up to be a Live Green! volunteer so that when opportunities come up to help "green the campus" you'll be the first to know.