Smart Business Challenge Internship
Application Deadline: November 16, 2018
In conjunction with the City of Ames Smart Business Challenge, the Electric Services Department and Sustainability Coordinator are seeking a student (undergraduate or graduate) interested in the opportunity to assist Ames businesses taking part in the Smart Business sustainability challenge. The intern will work as a team, with another (current) intern, in completing the position responsibilities listed below.
Specifically, this position will act in a liaison and resource role to businesses participating in the Challenge. The Smart Business Challenge offers Ames businesses to be recognized for their commitment to and accomplishment in multiple sustainability operational areas (including but not limited to energy efficiency, water conservation, waste diversion, and transportation). This position will take on various responsibilities to support participants in collecting data, completing paperwork, researching opportunities, identifying resources, and connecting with other Challenge participants. In addition, this position will also offer assistance directly to the City of Ames Electric Services Department related to energy rebates and energy efficiency projects and initiatives.
This is a paid position at $12/hour. The Smart Business Challenge Interns will report directly to the City of Ames Sustainability Coordinator, who is housed in the General Services Building at Iowa State University. The position requires a commitment of 20 hours per week and must be flexible to work some nights and weekends. Position length is for spring semester, with the opportunity to continue through summer semester and an option to return for the 2019-20 academic year.
- Organize and facilitate Smart Business Challenge meetings;
- Assist with Challenge participant energy audits, follow-up goals and action plans;
- Correspond with Challenge participants through letters, emails and phone conversations;
- Create and maintain Challenge participant files and spreadsheets to track correspondence, resources and deadlines;
- Respond to Challenge participant requests for information and resources;
- Assist with the City of Ames Smart Energy rebate claim form intake and processing;
- Complete City of Ames Electric Services air conditioner load control switch inspections; and
- Generate various reports and maintain spreadsheets related to City of Ames Electric Services projects and utility tracking.
- Must be enrolled as a student at Iowa State University.
- Must have experience in project management in a team setting and working with groups, as well as one-on-one, is required.
- Research experience and knowledge, as related to increasing efficiency of operations, as well as working with data and spreadsheets is preferred.
Deadline to Apply: November 16, 2018, 5 p.m.
To Apply: Email a cover letter (that discusses specific experience as related to the duties noted above), resume and three references to:
Merry Rankin, City of Ames Sustainability Coordinator: email@example.com
Direct questions to: Merry Rankin, City of Ames Sustainability Coordinator, 515-294-5052