Town Engineering Lighting
This project focuses on the replacement of all lighting in two “high-bay” laboratories (rooms 162 and 164) and space utilized for power tool processes (room 130), including mercury vapor, fluorescent and incandescent, with LED lighting.
Specific project deliverables include:
- Reduced energy consumption;
- Reduced labor cost related to bulb replacement in high and hard to reach fixtures;
- Reduced cost related to replacement bulbs and waste bulb disposal;
- Improved and enhanced lighting quality for teaching and research spaces; and
- Improved safety and working conditions.
Project completion is targeted for Fall 2016.
Terry Wipf, 515-294-6979, firstname.lastname@example.org
Loan Amount: $53,000
Return on Investment: Annual savings equal $10,600/year, with a payback period of 5 years
In addition to cost savings to Iowa State University and Iowa taxpayers and a reduction in carbon footprint for the Town Engineering Building, a real-time learning environment will be created as students will be able to see the actual effect of various fixtures on the lighting environment. Working and safety conditions will also be improved as new lighting will reduce noise from ballasts, improve light levels (increasing levels from 20-30 foot-candles to 45-55 foot-candles) and improve color rendering.