Envisioning Our Next Sustainable Decade
The 10th annual Iowa State University Symposium on Sustainability will be held Feb. 18-19, 2019 in the Memorial Union.
Iowa State University's Live Green! Initiative provides a call to action to all students, faculty and staff to be fully committed and engaged in ensuring our next sustainable decade. Through our actions and decisions regarding our campus, its operations and initiatives we can make efforts to support our next sustainable decade.
The 2019 Symposium on Sustainability celebrates the diversity of sustainability efforts and initiatives taking place within our campus community focusing on supporting and nurturing enablement and empowerment toward a sustainable future that extends into the Ames community, as well as communities across the state and throughout the world. Features of this year’s event are a juriend sustainability poster session, a juried art show and tabling reception, keynote lecture, clothing swap, discussion panel and the presentation of the 2018 Live Green! Awards for Excellence in Sustainability.
- Schedule of Events (details)
This year’s opening keynote is NASA Astronaut CapitanScott Kelly.
His lecture is entitled “The Sky is Not the Limit.” Kelly captivated the world and seized the
imagination of millions during his record-breaking year spent living in the International
Space Station; proving that the sky is not the limit when it comes to the potential of the
human spirit. On his trip, Scott, together with his identical twin brother Mark (the husband
of Arizona Senator Gabrielle Giffords) on Earth, paved the way for the future of space
travel and exploration. Kelly helped the world see the impacts of climate change when
he returned from his 2017 expedition and shared pictures of Earth covered in
pollution. Following his address, Kelly will be available for photographs and autographs.
Kelly's lecture will take place at 7 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 18, in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.
For more information about Kelly and his work, visit the Lectures Program website.
Juried Sustainability Poster Session & Juried Art Show
Poster abstracts and tabling displays are encouraged from all campus activities and projects including research, administration, operations, student/student organizations, community and personal initiatives that support and further sustainability and the Live Green! Initiative. A Juried Poster session and Juried Art Show provide an excellent venue to discuss and exchange of scientific information.
- Call for Posters
- 2019 Juried Poster Session Registration
- Call for Multi-Media Artwork
- 2019 Juried Art Show Registration
Posters are invited and encouraged from the following areas:
- Alternative/Renewable Energy Sources
- Arts and Culture
- Energy Efficiency & Resource Conservation
- Food Systems
- Green Design & Products
- Green Transportation
- Social Engineering/Behavioral Change
- Sustainable Community Planning
- Sustainable Materials
- Toxic Reductions
- Waste Management, Diversion and Reduction
- Water Quality/Flood Management
Live Green! Awards for Excellence in Sustainability
The Live Green! Excellence Awards recognize Iowa State University students, faculty and staff who are making an impact on the campus sustainability efforts by generating awareness and interest through initiatives that focus on teaching, research, outreach and/or operations.
All nominations are evaluated based on their impacts in the following areas: Cultural Impact, Impact on Natural Resources, Economic Impact, Transferability, Legacy to the Live Green Initiative and Sustainability. For more information on the specific focus of interest within each of these areas, refer to the Live Green Award for Excellence in Sustainability Selection Criteria document.
Excellence in areas or initiatives related to sustainability that are applicable to nomination for the Live Green! Award could include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Teaching: expanding and diversifying sustainability awareness and education through efforts and achievements related to a course, curriculum or program.
- Research: expanding and diversifying sustainability understanding and discovery through efforts and achievements.
- Outreach: expanding and diversifying sustainability relevance and transferability through efforts and achievements to internal and/or external audiences at Iowa State, Ames and/or local communities.
- Operations: expanding and diversifying sustainable practices and procedures as related to the day-to-day operational management and maintenance of Iowa State University.