Celebrating Our STARS, Charting Our Course
The 5th annual Iowa State University Symposium on Sustainability was held Feb. 24-25, 2014.
2014 celebrates the sixth year of Iowa State University's Live Green! Initiative and the call to action given to all students, faculty and staff to be fully committed to and engaged in ensuring a sustainable future through our actions and decisions regarding our campus, its operations and initiatives. This year's Symposium on Sustainability celebrates the university’s Gold international sustainability certification achievement, as well as the ISU team that made it achievable.
View Webcasts of the Symposium
Click on any of the links below to view webcasts* of this year's Symposium keynote panel discussion and presentations, as well as to learn more about this year's speakers.
- Welcome and Opening Remarks by Merry Rankin, Director of Sustainability
- Merry Rankin (Highlights of our 2013 Live Green! Journey)
- Achieving Gold Certification in Sustainability: Iowa State University’s Live Green! Foundation, Framework and Vision – A Discussion with Leadership (Operations)
- Achieving Gold Certification in Sustainability: Iowa State University’s Live Green! Foundation, Framework and Vision – A Discussion with Leadership (Student Experience)
- Envisoning Our Next Five Live Green! Years
- Presentation of the 2013 Live Green! Awards for Excellence in Sustainability
- Closing Remarks by Senior Vice President and Provost Dr. Jonathan Wickert
- Speaker Biographies
*Please note: due to some technical difficulties during recording, viewing of the webcasts may be distorted on web browsers. To ensure the best viewing of these webcasts, when the video for each webcast launches, maximize the view on your computer to full screen (if you are not running your browser at full screen) or restore it down from full screen (if you are running full screen).
The 2014 Symposium on Sustainability celebrated Iowa State University's Gold international sustainability certification achievement and began visioning the next goals in our collective journey toward a sustainable future. This year’s event featured panel presentations and open discussions focused on the university's efforts, accomplishments and goals related to sustainability in operations, academics and the overall student experience.
Sustainability Poster Reception
Poster abstracts were encouraged from all campus activities and projects, including research, administration, operations, students and student organizations, community, as well as personal initiatives that support and further sustainability and the Live Green! Initiative. Poster sessions provide an excellent venue for discussions, networking and the exchange of scientific information.
- Read the full listing of all posters and poster presenters at this year's event.
Live Green! Awards for Excellence in Sustainability
The Live Green! Excellence Awards recognize Iowa State University students, faculty and staff who are making an impact on the campus sustainability efforts by generating awareness and interest through initiatives that focus on teaching, research, outreach and/or operations.